Blog #5: Getting Personal
The idea of writing a personal essay is both exciting and daunting. I like structure and who doesn't like clear and obvious instructions? But this assignment gives us the option to write through a creative lens and express our feelings and personal discoveries. There isn't a specific question to answer which leaves a lot of room for our minds to lead us somewhere incredible and new. I tend to get overwhelmed working on these types of assignments, so it wasn't easy for me to come up with ideas and topics to write about. I am unsure whether I want to keep my personal essay light or dive into heavier topics. After spending days, moving into weeks discussing the rapidly evolving global Coronavirus pandemic I decided that was not the topic I wished to write about. But consequently, the free time I now have has helped me consider possibilities. A few topics I have considered include spirits and afterlife, political ideologies, stress and depression around the holidays, and the influences of pop culture on Americans. All of which really do interest me and I think I would have a great time exploring more about each of them.
The influence pop culture has on Americans is something that crosses my mind each day. We may not know it or even want to believe it but pop culture in the media is influencing us all and shaping our identities each and every time we consume it through television, social media, and all other media outlets. How does pop culture effect the way boys and girls view themselves in relation to body image, self-esteem, and attraction? We are constantly being told over and over in media what the “perfect” body is and what is and is not attractive. These ideas are surely internalized whether or not we want to. In what ways does pop culture influence our sexual and romantic relationships? How do we treat sex and sexual feelings? What is hook up culture? Does pop culture tell us what happiness means or how we can be happy? Do we need expensive material objects like cars and designer clothes to be successful? How is success determined and who is successful according to pop culture? Pop culture is everywhere, we are all consuming it each and every day in America. I want to explore whether it is helpful or hurtful and how it can be a devastating factor in your own personal identity but possibly also a motivation for some.
Many people love the holidays and can’t wait for that time of year to roll around, while many others see them as a stressful time of year, a burden, and a heavy weight on their shoulders. I myself have a hard time with the holidays. I cry on my birthday, Christmas and Thanksgiving aren’t the same without the love ones I have lost, and I always feel depressed once it’s all over. But why do we get this way? Why do we feel the holiday blues? I want to know why so many parents feel such a great pressure during the holidays that it becomes stressful to provide a great celebration for their family and children. Is it because they are worried about buying expensive gifts or they dread seeing extended family members? Is there a way we could all work together to make the holidays a more joyous time of year with less pressure? Can we make the holidays about family rather than gifts and perfect parties? How can we get over the aching feeling when you miss your loved ones on a day that was once so special but now leaves you feeling empty and sad? Why are these feelings universal for so many people? I want to answer these questions and more. I want to help solve these problems for myself and others so that we can enjoy the holidays just as much as everyone else.


Hi, Holly
ReplyDeleteI think that all the topics you have in mind are great ideas to work with; afterlife is an interesting topic to talk about because there will always be curious to discover the unknown. The theme of how pop culture influences Americans is another excellent topic; it is so true that in many music videos, the exposure of money, luxury cars, high-cost brands, and jewels affects the audience psychologically. The most affected are the youth because they think that in order to be cool, they must have the things exposed in those videos. Also, in the majority of those videos, the exposure of skinny, curvy, and good-looking women is very noticeable. All these characteristics can also affect the self-esteem of adolescents women making them think that if they do not look like the women in the video, they would not be considered beautiful.
Michelle E. Naranjo
Hey Holly,
ReplyDeleteBoth of your topics are very interesting to me, and I think you have some great questions for both. I personally believe that pop culture plays a huge part in shaping children and teenagers, and I liked that you tied in success and materialism along with the relationships. There are definitely people that benefit from this and play into the culture while others choose to follow their own path. I also liked your paragraph on the potential topic of sadness around the holidays. I also am not a huge fan of the holidays, and have learned to cope with the hovering clouds that come around during Christmas, my birthday, etc. I would be very interested in hearing possible solutions and ways to fight those feelings and how to make it a happy time of year for everyone.
Hi Holly,
ReplyDeleteI really like how you right away start off by saying how the idea of writing a personal essay is both exciting and daunting. On a scale of 1-10 how much are you looking forward to this assignment? Just like you said, I am ready for my mind to lead me somewhere incredible, and I strongly hope all of you will be there with me. As in I hope I really make my emotions clear.
I think it is great you are considering the whole pop culture influence, especially since you mention that it crosses your mind every day! How could it get more personal! I really like both of your topics. I can see a lot of us understanding you on an extreme personal level. Great choices.