Blog #1: My Journey as the Youngest Child
Growing up I was the baby, the youngest child, and in my opinion, my mom's favorite. Kidding!! I spent years and years of my childhood being the youngest out of my siblings and cousins. Often the one to get told "no way" or "get out of my room" when I asked the older kids to play with me. Being the youngest had its perks though, extra attention from my grandma and having a very laid back mom. Having already raised two teenage daughters, she was naturally much more lenient by the third and I tended to get away with quite a lot by the time I reached high school. The hardest thing about having siblings eight and ten years older than you is they move out of your family home before you are ready for them to leave. I watched my sisters graduate college, get married, and buy homes while I was still too young to drive a vehicle. It was tough on me because I missed them so much, luckily they live in the same town as me (before I left for college), but it was still hard to spend those years as the only child living at home.
But you know what outweighs all of the struggles of being the youngest child? I was 14 when my niece was born and it was the happiest and proudest I have ever been to be the youngest. I now have a new identity in life, I am an aunt. Not just to one, but to four kids and one baby on the way due in June. Having sisters has helped me experience something I am beyond grateful for. Everyday I get watch the newest members of my family grow, learn, and show unlimited amounts of joy and love. Being an aunt means so much to me and I couldn't even imagine a life without my nieces and nephews. I'm so thankful for the close knit family I have been blessed with, and how supportive they are. At times when I was much younger I would feel left out because I couldn't be with my sisters all the time, but now today I feel more important than ever because I get the privilege of being a little sister and aunt. I got the permission to share some photos of my family, so I thought I would, enjoy!
Myself and my sisters 2010
My mom with the kids on Christmas 2019
Our newest furry family member, Roy


Hi Holly! I can totally relate to your post. I am the youngest in my family, behind two older brothers, and I am by far the youngest cousin coming from my dad's side of the family. I also endured being the "little kid" and being kicked out of the "big kid stuff" while growing up which usually resulted in me screaming and crying to my mom. However, there are some DEFINITE perks to being the youngest. My grandparents insisted that once all the grandchildren turned 18, there would be no more birthday money / gifts, cards only. Yet, here I am three years after my 18th birthday still getting the special treatment from my Grandma and Grandpa which always sparks controversy with my older cousins saying I'm being favorited to which my Grandma says, "You're right!". Anyways, thanks for sharing, glad to see I wasn't the only one exiled to little kid island.
ReplyDeleteI am also the youngest sibling (though there are just two of us, so 'younger sibling' is more correct in my case). With the age gap between my sister and I, I got to see her do many things way before I ever got the chance. We fought a lot growing up and still do on occasion though now they are more akin to drawn out arguments. She and her husband moved recently from here in San Diego to North Carolina (not without reason, home prices are insane) and I miss her all the time. I think it is really cool that you are able to spend a lot of time and connect with your nieces and nephews. I'm glad you don't feel left out anymore because of your age, again I've been there as well. -Kevin W
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi Holly!
DeleteBEAUTIFUL! Every single thing. I love how you chose the right words to describe how you felt back then (as a child) and even now. I connected so much to your blog! I only had one older sister, but I heard exactly what you shared and then some! I became the middle child when my younger brother was born, and then years later. . .We got another one! My sister is 6 years older then I, and I am 6 years older than my brother, and 15 years older than the smallest! You can imagine the age difference between the rest. We are in for it. You drew such a picture in my head, I got flashbacks! I too was 14 when I became an aunt. Holly, I love everything you said in your post. I can feel the power of your love through your words!
How has the relationship changed with you & your sisters now? (I'm sure it is all for the best now!) You have such beautiful nieces & nephews. Thank you for sharing something so personal & for the pictures!
This is a long journey! You know what they say, an aunt is like your second mom! Have lots of fun, and take in every second of love.
Hi Holly
ReplyDeleteYou posted some amazing pictures and gave such a vivid, colorful glimpse into your life and background for all of us to achieve a better understanding of you. I have to admit that it probably was very tough to see your sisters leave you behind as the youngest and they were suddenly gone from being part of your life. Yet, as you emphasized, once you became an aunt and assumed this new role, you reconnected deeply with your sisters and you understood it was okay. I have the same predicament with younger siblings right now and me. They miss me so much because I am away at college and they are always wanting me to come home to be with them. It is a tough separation experience for the younger siblings because they struggle with suddenly not having their loved one in their daily life. I understand that feeling for sure. You are a kind, generous, and nice person I can feel that through your post and thanks for sharing all this great information.